Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Marie Antoinette Costume

Marie Antoinette Costume

That post I did on the costumes in Pride & Prejudice got me interested in costume design in other movies. And of course, the first movie that popped into my head was Marie Antoinette. I found this amazing website about the costumes and costume design in the movie.

Highlights include:

Design sketches by costume designer Milena Canonero:

(Check out this interview to hear what Canonero had to say about the design process.)

Pictures from the Vogue shoot by Annie Liebovitz:

Close-ups of the fabulous shoes Manolo Blahnik designed for the movie:

This ended up being my favorite part of the website. Blahnik talked about designing the shoes, saying, "When the producers called, I dropped everything. When I was a boy, my mother read a Marie-Antoinette biography, and I have read Antonia Fraser's version. I can't wait to see it. They said 'make them sexy', but I wanted to do something very academic." He researched the original 18th century shoes before making these beauties.

Aaah, to be a young queen with beautiful clothes and shoes.....

Having just watched the Madonna documentary Madonna: Truth or Dare before looking at all the beautiful costumes, I've had kind of an overload of fabulousness. Must go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment